Spilimbergo takes its name from the Count Spengenberg (Carinthian, Southern Austria) who moved here around 1120. Located on the hills northeast of Venice in the province of Pordenone in Friuli-Venezia Giulia, northern Italy.
This little town is a real jewel
- In the Middle Ages, the city was an important center of transit and commerce, prosperous and flourishing so that, in order to contain an ever-growing population, the city had to build three walled enclosures.
- On October 4, 1284, Walterpertold II, lord of the place, laid the first stone of the cathedral which is today the most outstanding Romanesque-Gothic monument of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
- In 1420 the city passed under the rule of Venice and followed the alternate fortunes of the Venetian Republic. The place became a theater of wars and bloody civil fights, in 1511, the castle was burned. It was then rebuilt according to Renaissance modules and in 1532 hosted Emperor Carlo V.
- In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spilimbergo had the greatest splendor: several artists worked there, including Vitale students from Bologna who left in the cathedral a cycle of frescoes of over 500 sqm.
- With the Treaty of Campoformido of 1797 Spilimbergo passed to Austria; those were tumultuous years.
- In 1866 the region was finally annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
The town is notable as the home of the Scuola Mosaicisti del Friuli (Mosaic School), which was founded in 1922.