Rendez-Vous des Amis Quiche
I am very much into a Spring mood, the clouds over my head, however, have a much different mood in mind!
What best than a Spring Quiche to fight the battle of moods. Of quiches (recipes) is full the Internet, and I do love to make them all. I found that a combination of asparagus and smoked salmon works quite deliciously, all wrapped in by a shortcrust pastry is always a winner, and it looks good too because looks do matter in the kitchen too!
There are many recipes out there, especially in French. I chose one in particular because of the limited amount of cream. French people add butter & cream liberally and their cholesterol level always stays the same. Therefore my choice was the one below. Although one more egg would have fit in easily.
But the result was good nevertheless.
1 shortcrust pastry base
300 g green asparagus
30 cl of liquid cream
4 slices of smoked salmon
20 g butter
salt and pepper
(probably not needed, it is fool proof)
1. Preheat the oven 180 ° C (=350F)
2. Put salted water to boil in a large saucepan (but I always use the Chinese baskets for this task)
3. Peel the asparagus with a peeler from the head to the tail
4. Immerse them in boiling water. Cook them for 5 min (or place them in the basket, for about the same time)
5. Refresh them in cold water and drain them on paper towels
6. In a bowl, mix the liquid cream and the eggs with a whisk, salt and pepper
7. Cut the asparagus into 2 or 3, and the salmon into thin strips
8. Place the bottom in a tart mold and with a fork pierce the bottom, add the asparagus and salmon on the bottom of the pastry and pour the cream and egg mixture
9. Bake for 30 min
For this Asparagus and Salmon Quiche recipe, you can consider a 30 minutes time for preparation, plus 30 for baking. In an hour it is ready to the table.
I just thought that it is good for a picnic too, for a Rendez-Vous des Amis (like my pretty plates suggest), when the weather will cooperate obviously.